Patient Experience Feedback
- Maintaining up to date patient information leaflet
- Allocate "talk time" everyday for patients to speak to GP
- Continual training of reception staff to reassure patient appropriately on test results
- Train District Nurses to use ICE when ordering and taking blood test
- Posters in Phlebotomist and Nurse rooms on phoning for test results
- Ensure our leaflet regarding results remains up to date
- Always document when contact make with patient, even when they don't manage to speak to them. This is so that staff know where to direct calls when patient phone back
- Changes made to ICE housekeeping policy
- Audited lab link system to establish how many results arrive in practice in the afternoon - it was deemed safer to check results in the morning and afternoon in order to process the results more efficiently
We carried out an "ICE" training needs analysis; all practice staff involved in taking bloods took part. The results showed that :
- All of the nurses and phlebotomists used ICE and none felt they required further training.
- Most of the GPs used ICE however all felt they needed further training, particularly "parking" requests.
Feedback from patients - what we can change:
- "Shorten waiting time for a blood test"
- "I tend to like a copy of the test results, would this ever be available via email?"
"Having weekend/after office hours for blood test would be better. It would be good if I didn't have to phone for the results but would be feedback immediately"
- "Blood test need to be linked to report back from Cardiology when received and a follow up appointment arranged"
didn't have to phone for the results but would be feedback immediately"**
"Missed reminder letter for TFT"
- "Missed messages on the time to phone in for results"
- "Prolonged wait time for results to return"
- "Difficulty getting through on phone line to obtain results"
- "Communication to patients if there would be a prolonged wait for results to return"
Feedback from patients - what went well:
- "Accurate results and convenient appointment times"
- "Helpful,efficient, informative"
"All went very well. Blood was taken which in my case is fab"
- "Taken on time of appointment"
"Pleasant, efficient phlebotomist"
- "Courtesy from Clinicians and Admin members of the practice"
- "Ability to book convenient time for an appointment to take blood"
- "Calm environment"
- "Friendly and professional Clinicians taking test"